Chaplaincy in Schools Program
The Chaplaincy position requires the school chaplain to work closely with varied members of the school staff and other allied services.
- Support and assist Principal and Assistant Principal in student wellbeing
- Assist in existing welfare initiatives
- Develop and implement new welfare initiatives as required
- Access services that provide practical benefit to families e.g. food from ‘SecondBite’
- Continue a relationship with Antioch House to continue to receive lunch bags and Christmas hampers for students and families
- Access assistance from The Salvation Army for material aid when required for families.
- Facilitate pastoral care and or counselling for students and families when referred or requested by the family
- Provide group sessions and counselling for families if required
- Initiate and facilitate group programs as identified as priority by school staff
- Liaise with Department of Education & Training student support officers
- Provide quarterly report to school Principal about chaplaincy Program.
- Foster a strong sense of community within the school
- Link families and staff with local community agencies, groups and support services
- Liaise with Chaplain at McClelland College to assist in the transition of Year 6 students to secondary school with particular attention to, and support for, vulnerable students.
Faith & Spirituality:
- Support the school as it welcomes and values students as whole people, including their faith and spiritual life.
- Respond to requests from families to provide links to faith communities
- Support students and families to develop their spiritual life and faith, if requested.
Other appropriate duties as required, but not restricted to:
- Undertake professional development when possible
- Connect with students through both formal and informal interactions
- Be an extra trusted adult for students to talk to
- Take on a pastoral care role within the school community
- Provide counselling and/or support to school staff as required
- Prepare end of term reports for presentation to School Council
- Engage in regular supervision/coaching with The Salvation Army Chaplaincy Co-ordinator